Sunday, May 31, 2015

Learning to Walk

This has been a very long process for me. I do think that walking is a goal that many people in my physical situation can attain in a shorter amount of time if they can constantly apply themselves. Maintaining peak physical shape is paramount. This can be achieved by working out or by doing some kind of physically demanding activity almost everyday. I have three transfer poles in my apartment, but the one that I use the most is in my living room. Instead of transferring to the couch to watch TV, I will just practice on my standing. This is not only good for the muscles, but my circulatory system, my joint strength, my mental alertness, and my proprioception. It also builds my endurance levels to the added pressure on the bottoms of my feet, shoulders, and my back. With all of this physical activity added onto a day, make sure that you adequately replenish your body’s fuel level. You must stay properly hydrated. Yes, what goes in must come out. Such is life! Taking certain vitamins each morning may also be a good idea. Not just a multi-vitamin, either! Eating healthy (somewhat) will also help you out. Your body is repairing or building itself up after a work out and it needs the proper fuel to do so. Eating right and properly hydrating will also help to give that extra edge so that you don’t become too fatigued at the end of the day. Initially, standing and walking will not be comfortable. You will have bad days. There will also be many good days. Take advantage of those days! Looking at the big picture may also seem impossible. Break the task up into smaller portions to make it more digestible, but always keep your eye on the prize. Be sure to push yourself a little further each chance you get. By doing this, you will not only boost your physical capabilities, but you will learn that you are a bit tougher than you evaluate yourself to be. This will then only make it easier to go further next time! It’s almost like climbing a ladder. One step makes the other step reachable. Before you know it, your already half way there. If you encounter a problem in this process, don’t take the easy way out and let it block you from reaching your goals. Just spend those extra minutes to think about the steps that you need to take to reach an effective solution. I hope this helps you! Remember that EVERYONE had to crawl before they could walk. Through repetition, things can be learned or relearned.

 Never Give Up!

 Of note: The Speech function on iOS is amazing!

No comments: